Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Tin Man

Country singer, Kenny Chesney sings a beautiful song entitled, The Tin Man. In it he talks about how he saw a man in the movies, who didn't have a heart & how much he wishes on some days that he can be the Tin Man & not feel emotional pain. The past few days, I have been finding myself wishing a similar sentiment. How much easier & less complicated would life be if one could shut off emotions particularly ones, that hurt? To some people, I may appear jaded & unemotional but in reality, I am affected by life's angry arrows more than I want to admit. My coping skills for trauma have deepened & matured. Most months roll by, with not one tear to spill down my cheeks. I don't blink when one of my children accidentally drops one of my valued Fire King cereal bowls. I stare blankly into the night sky after a long day. I can function smoothly with a lingering ovarian cyst lighting fires in my pelvis. Maybe the long spells of compressing my emotions causes the break through periods to be all the more painful. Whatever the reason, today is one of those days where I wouldn't mind switching roles with the Tin Man.........."My flesh & my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart & my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

1 comment: