Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Slowing Down Father Time

 This lil guy needs lots of sun protection!
After my last melancholy post, I am going to switch gears & talk about a subject that I think most people, especially women are interested in; aging. A wise friend recently told me that the figure on a paper is meaningless. He is right! I was sitting in a doctor's office last week & overheard two women listing their birth year. One was ten years older than me & the other was 10 years younger. The 20 year old looked older than me, with creases & lines on her face.When we are born, we begin to age. Gravity, toxins, ultra violet rays & lifestyle choices all contribute to our physical break down. Genes also factor into the mix. My siblings & I have awesome aging genes on our side. My dad looks ten years younger than he is, still has dark hair at nearly 69!. His siblings all look younger than they are. His mom didn't look 90 when she died. My mother looks at least five years younger than what her birth certificate lists. Growing up & all through my life, I have consistently guessed people as older than they are because I use how my folks look to judge age .Despite that I have good aging genes (at least I can hope they made it into my DNA!), there are still choices I make in order to try & trick my body into staying youthful! Here are a few I currently practice in my life or at least make an attempt at:-) Sun Sense. I wish I had been a more faithful observer of this one all through my years but I am definitely thankful that I heed it, now. For the last several years, I have worn sun hats or avoided excess sun on my face all together. I also wear a mineral sunscreen on my face & neck. I have never visited a tanning salon & it's been years since I have foolishly tanned my skin on purpose. Supplementing with Vitamin D is a daily thing for my kids & I, however as many western Oregonians have low blood levels of D due to the dark weather. My contact lenses block harmful sun rays. Sunglasses. My Native brand sunglasses are looking rather aged themselves but if they have prevented a few crows lines around my eyes, they are worth the sacrifice. For many years my sunglasses have been a constant companion. They go everywhere with me. If I get into my car to go somewhere & they aren't there, I will frantically tear my house apart to find them. Buy a nice, polarized pair & make them your special friend! Water. My sunglasses compete for my devotion with my stainless steel Kleen Kanteens. I have one 64 ounce one & several 40 ouncers. My water is filtered through a triple charcoal system. My husband & children all have their own Kleen Kanteens & Camel Bak bottles, that go everywhere with them. Most Americans are dehydrated. My skin looks much younger when I am well hydrated. Veins on my hands are full & easily visible. At nearly every ultrasound I had with my pregnancies, the technician remarked on the great hydration of my tissues. I didn't get stretch marks or edema. Water, water, water.....God's gift of health to us! Drink up:-) Diet. My vegetarian stance can be quite controversial. However, I can point you to study after study where a plant based diet is proven to slow down aging processes in the body. Omitting refined sugar, flour & processed foods is also shown to be beneficial. Rest. My children are young. My husband is gone much of the time. I haven't gotten the rest my body needs for some time. When I am exceptionally sleep deprived, it shows on my face. My skin becomes pale & I truly look older. This one needs much improvement on my end. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9 Exercise.  I love practicing yoga. For some, they may find joy in another form of exercise. Exercise in recent months has been pushed on the back burner & it tells on me. My skin is more vibrant & my energy much higher when I am regularly practicing my yoga. Stress Reduction. History is fascinating to me. Last night before bed, I was thumbing through Mara's library book on Abraham Lincoln. One page showed four pictures taken of the great president throughout his presidency. The age progression in each one was dramatic. The author noted how great the stress he was under during those four years. Find ways to reduce stress in your life. For me, snuggling my dogs, playing with my children, reading a history or inspiration book, going for a walk, standing under the stars on a clear night, doing something good for others, using essential oils,  laughing & listening to inspirational music reduce my stress tremendously. Alcohol may mellow you out for a brief period but it has tremendous aging properties (not anti aging properties!). Contentment & Happiness. This has got to me my favorite anti aging antidote, yet the hardest one to consume. "I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat & drink & be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

No comments:

Post a Comment