Monday, April 9, 2012

Looking Ahead To My Next 30 Years

When I was eighteen or so, the song My Next Thirty Years by Tim McGraw came out. In it, he sings about what he hopes to do a little bit differently during his "next thirty years" including drinking more lemonade & not so many beers. Personally, I don't need to make that resolution but there are plenty of things I can & want to do differently. Below are 5:  Crying & Tears. Last night I laid alone in my bed far too late, sobbing & letting tears flow freely. Wow, I felt like my pressure valve had been removed & although I don't want to turn into a walking sob, I realize how much more often that I need to allow myself the freedom to cry. It doesn't matter if the world or even myself, perceives weakness from tears. Tears are a gift from God, they are healthy & normal. "Every good & perfect gift comes from the Father of the heavenly lights......."James 1:17a.
    See More of the Joy & Goodness in My Life . Negativity is an ugly weed. It's like enjoying a good cup of coffee & getting near the bottom to discover that there is a dead mouse in your mug. It is like stepping in something icky while wearing your best shoes & already late for an important event. It's like a thunder storm soaking your yard while having a summer birthday party. Negativity ruins so many good experiences. I am no stranger to it. There are days, that seeing the sunlight is painfully difficult for me. Many times, I would rather stay in my bed, covers pulled over my head. Joy is a choice. Bad situations may not be a choice but how you perceive them & how your outlook is. "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:2.
    Cultivate a Kind & Compassionate Heart. Last week my seven year old daughter asked me why I ignored a panhandler standing on the side of the road. She reminded me that we should help all people. Although I don't feel it's prudent to pass out money in situations like this, Mara's gentle rebuke stirred my heart. This week, I plan on making up the little care packages with my children to keep handy in each of our vehicles. Each one will have a bottle of water, granola bar & maybe a pair of socks or pack of gum. Also will be a voucher & information inviting them to Portland Rescue Mission. "Jesus said, 'In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law & the Prophets." Matthew 7:12
     Forgiveness. It would be a lie to say that I haven't been severely hurt by more than one person in my lifetime. It would also be a lie to say that I haven't severely hurt more than one person myself. Often as humans, we focus inwardly on our pain. We nurture & pamper the hurt & wounds. If you are like me, you guard your heart from more trauma. I this next decade & beyond, my prayer is that the Lord removes past hurt & pain that will continue to come my way brought on my fellow humans. Forgiveness is not reconciliation. Forgiveness doesn't mean you forget. Forgiveness doesn't mean you shouldn't/can't set up boundaries. Forgiveness is healthy. Forgiveness is healing. Forgiveness is from God. "Be kind & compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 
4:32
     Trust God.  Wow, that short phrase sounds simple! It isn't. At least for me it isn't. My frail human mind likes to be in control of the ship. My frail human mind too often tries to toss out it's own life boat without paying attention to the gaping holes all along the keel. In this next decade & beyond I want to claim more & more every day the promise in this beautiful Scripture passage, "Blessed is the man, who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit". Jeremiah 17: 7-8


2 comments: