Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pets: Disposable or Family?

Scooter.

Now this is a dog pile!

Faithful Old Girl.
One fine beast!

She had a wonderful life as a junkyard cat! RIP Marbies.
Piper the dog-like cat:-)

We loved babysitting this sweet girl! RIP Fuzzy.
Don't Judge Her Until You Meet a Domestic Rat! My eyes are watering, I miss her so much.

Sweet, Sweet Goose!
Looking through some of my first blog entries, I noted that I said I would talk about pets sometime down the road. This morning, as I was digging through important papers in search of my dog's rabies certificates so they can visit the grooming salon for nail grinding, I thought about how I don't feel like spending the money but how not caring for their physical needs isn't an option. Many years ago, I took my dogs into my life & by doing that, promised them that I would take care of them & treat them well all of their days. Scooter is almost 16 & Sid just turned 10. I was single & without kids when I adopted them. A husband, three kids, four moves a many vet trips later, they are still part of my family. They aren't an object that I cast off when they become inconvenient or grow out of their cute puppy stage. Believe me, at times they are "inconvenient" but so are kids! A few months ago, my children & I visited an animal shelter. Tears filled my eyes as I looked into the eyes of "disposable pets", who stared back into my eyes, pleading for me to love them. Before anyone takes offense to this blog please know that I understand that there are a few necessary exceptions to giving up your pet. Working two years at a pet boarding & care facility, I touched noses with lots of formerly disposable pets. Rescue dogs were the most awesome critters I had ever met! I am referencing dogs but this applies to all pets. If you are considering adding a pet to your family, please consider these questions FIRST: 1. Am I willing to provide vet/medical care for my pet as needed? It isn't right to let your pet suffer. This includes flea & hot spot treatment. There are low cost, natural options for many health ailments & I hope to expand on this subject later. 2. Am I willing to provide high quality food & clean, fresh water at all times? Pets are like people, their bodies can only be as good as the food they eat. Ole Roy from Walmart is the equivalent to you living off of pop tarts. It makes me cringe when I see pets drinking from slimy water dishes or water bottles with green growing inside (for pets such as rodents). Worse is when the thoughtless owner let them go dry! 3.Am I willing to provide a clean, dry & warm place for my animal to sleep/live? It's so sad when owners don't provide adequate living quarters for their pets. My dogs get their bedding washed every week. They have a cozy kennel inside the house. If you are considering an animal like a rodent, ask yourself if you are willing to keep the cage clean & dry. Before our last rat had to put to sleep, I took her cage outside twice a week, took it apart & thoroughly washed it before putting fresh bedding back into to. Providing for my clean loving little friend like this was something I did for several years. I used a toothbrush to scrub inside her water bottle. 4.Am I willing to provide daily social interaction? Dogs & rats in particular are very social animals & they depend on their people to play & interact with them every day. I would let the rats climb around on my shoulders while I worked at the computer. I cuddle & talk to my dogs a few times a day, even when I am super busy.5. Am I willing to find proper care for my pet when I am away? You can't leave them solo while you head off on vacation. Someone responsible needs to provide basic things such as fresh water for them.6. Am I willing to love them even if I have a baby or babies? Mara, Gracen & Finn have grown up with my dogs. The dogs occasionally lick their faces & hands. My kids are healthy & strong & have been  taught to respect the dogs & treat them well.7. Am I willing to find a place if I move, that is pet friendly? Having moved four times with my dogs, I know quite a lot about this one. Yes, I paid hefty pet security deposits & I had to hunt a little more deeply to find an adequate place but they are still with me so I succeeded! 8. Am I willing to find a wonderful loving home in the RARE event that I can't keep providing for my pet? It is possible to find someone, who will give your pet a forever home. Look & be diligent. Don't take it to a shelter. 9. Are you willing to say goodbye at the right time? This one brings a lump to my throat. Scooter is in her golden years & when her health declines to the point of her not being comfortable & happy, I will have her humanely put to sleep. I won't prop her up & let her live in misery for my own heart. I love her & my love will drive me to do the best thing for her.  If you can't answer with a positive YES to all nine questions on the above check list, please don't get a pet!!!! 

1 comment: